Sunday, September 9, 2007

The first gathering at our new home was successful. K offered to bring her grill so our non-kosher friends could have sausage. I explained the system for the dishes, and those choosing to eat sausage used paper plates.

I've had a long-standing rule about using real plates instead of paper plates, out of concern for the environment, but Santa Cruz is experiencing a drought right now, so I figured it's no better to waste water washing more dishes. Plus...I don't have a third set of non-kosher dishes, and I don't plan on buying any. Paper was fine.

I did, however, forget to tell everyone to use plastic utensils. They used meat utensils instead of dairy, but used them on sausage. It's ok though. I'll boil them again, and we've learned something for next time.

In other news, my parents are coming up this Thursday and Friday, Rosh Hashanah. I know they won't want to go to RH services with me, but maybe they'll do Tashlich by the ocean.

They are very good about keeping themselves entertained when they come to visit, and they won't stop me from going to services.

Anyway, to those of you reading this blog who came over tonight, thanks for sharing the evening with me. It's time to get some sleep. I let myself take the whole day off today, but Shabbat is ending, and a new week is beginning. Tomorrow it's back to work *yawn* Shavua Tov!

- Adva

No comments: